Sunday, April 6, 2008

From Jude

Day 1

Fear and excitement filled my mind as I walked towards the two hauls that that were united to form the canoe called Iosepa. I was excited because I could feel the presence of ancestors around this site and because I knew that this was a place where I could find myself, my identity as a Hawaiian, and the meaning of why I was attending Brigham Young University. I was fearful because I knew this project would consume me and my time. Time that I did not have as I was a full time student with a full time job. I was also fearful because I knew, like everywhere else on campus, I would be surrounded by members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints that would pressure me into joining their church. Yet all these fears could not and did not overcome the excitement I was feeling and I continued to make my way towards the canoe.

As I reached the canoe I saw my best friend Paliku and he immedietly introduced me to a short, fair guy with his long hair pulled back in a buya. His name was Andy and my first thought was "man this guy is weird." Paliku also introduced me to a tall, broad guy (Kanale) with messed up hair that looked a little intimidating but talked with such sincerety and welcome that I immedietly felt accepted. On this day I didn't realize it but these three guys would would not only become my friends but my closest of Iosepa brothers. In the next several years we would sail together, face challenges together, and express our true love for our canoe and canoe family.


I do not exactly remmeber what day this was but it is a day which I charish in my life. This day would mark the start of my journey into love, friendship, the church, hard work, sweat, humility, integrety, pride, and self identity. As I look back on this day, I am grateful that fear had not caused me to retrack my steps and that excitement lead to experiences that I will never forget nor never regret. Iosepa was a means of finding myself and what I valued.

No comments: