Tuesday, April 22, 2008

From Lehua

I first got involved with Iosepa because Namea and Miki wanted me to do the Saturday morning swim with them. Later (like February 2002), Kamoa‘e asked if I wanted to be a crewmember and go to the training on the Big Island. Actually, I wasn’t sure if I wanted to get too involved. I was going to graduate in a couple of months, I didn’t know what I was going to do after that and I knew that I get motion sick easier than you’d think was possible.
I think I stayed because I felt such a strong connection with the other people on the crew. There was usually a really good rapport with one another and we had a lot of fun working, playing or making trouble with each other. Also, I felt like I would never get another chance to help and be involved with something like this. I mean, I’m from Nevada, the middle of the desert, no wa‘a kaulua over here.
Kihe ka ihu i ka ‘ale. I always visualized something surging forward, into the fray, you know. It makes me think of putting up the jib and sitting out on the alelo with your feet dangling over the ocean, the spray that hits your feet and the rush of water going under your feet through the hulls. For me, it meant charging into something unknown, but with a trust in something solid and reliable. For us, it was the ocean with the canoe as our “something solid”. In other cases, I think that the unknown is life and the solid, reliable support is the gospel.
To me, pono means to be centered, and right with yourself, others or your situation. I always felt that one should be pono when he or she came to the canoe. That meant that they should get over their issues before coming and working. I personally didn’t want to bring any negativity to the wa’a and in turn bring others down. I really think it helped me during that time, because I wanted to be at the canoe and if I had an issue, I hurried and got over it, so that I could go work.
The experience with Iosepa was physically, mentally, culturally and emotionally challenging. I enjoyed working on the canoe when it was on land, but as soon as it got onto the water, my enjoyment ended. Since I spent most of my time sleeping or throwing up, the sailing aspect was physically tough on me. Culturally, I learned a lot about being Hawaiian and understanding what that means. I had some interesting conversations with Kamoa’e about it. Emotionally, it was a struggle to balance home and canoe and work.
I think that being a crew member came with a lot of responsibility. You have each other’s back, whether it’s adjusting a stay line or helping at their wedding. Being part of the crew is a life changing experience. It is like having a whole other family. The memories that I made during that time will be with me forever. You can’t put it into words that would really do it justice, but I think that everyone that was involved probably feels the same way.
You know, I remember a lot of the little sayings everyone used to say, but the one that really pops out in my head is, “Shut-up, Lehua”. One day in Malama Kai, Kamoa‘e was reviewing his syllabus and in one section he had a mistake or something (“the many faucets of Malama Kai”), and I probably pointed it out or laughed, being the TESOL major that I was. Paliku really enjoyed repeating that one.
There are so many stories and memories, it’s like a flood thinking about them all. One memory that sticks out to me was when all of the wahine went for a training to the Big Island and visited with Aunty Marie. We were all piled in her house and it was hot and since we had been out in the sun, I was sleepy. I totally kept drifting off. All of a sudden, I heard my name whispered in my ear. The voice wasn’t from someone in that room. I think one of my ancestors (great-grandma or someone) was telling me that I better pay attention. It made me realize that my people were proud of what I was doing and that they were with me. I knew that I was doing something that was bigger than just us.
I miss it every day and I miss everyone more than you know! No matter where I am I will always feel connected to the canoe. I’m grateful for the time I got to spend there and all of the memories that I’ll always have.
Love,
Lehua

No comments: