Thursday, April 3, 2008

From Noelani


* What got you started with Iosepa?

I was going through a divorce. I was trying to get back into school part-time and learned that BYU-Hawaii was finally offering a Hawaiian Studies major (don't get me started on this topic). My Mom, daughter and I attended a ceremony for the wa'a while it was still at Laniloa park. If I remember correctly it was to wed the female and male hulls. Kamoa'e approached Mom and I and he learned that I was ma'a with the water. I was invited to come back, and it felt right, so I did. When I think about it, it's one of the best decisions I've ever made in connection with my education.

* What made you stay and help?

Aside from the invitation to come and participate I was already taking Hawaiian studies classes and after the Mālama Kai and Mālama 'Āina trip to Molokai, I felt like it was the right thing to do.

* What does Kihe ka ihu i ka 'ale - (the sentence on the t-shirts) mean to you?

If I remember correctly it refers to the sea spray created when the face of the manu connects with oncoming waves. I think it also refers to the sensations one has when they sneeze. It emphasizes this positive forward movement which cannot be held back, you are totally committed to this forward direction and the result is this resounding spray which can be seen and felt by all. When this spray falls on you it brings relief from the burning sun and hot deck, it also gives you chicken skin (the kind where you shudder because the falling spray brings on this exhilarating feeling).
It's a pretty powerful statement, if you take the time to contemplate its meanings. This can be applied to not only our journey in identifying ourselves culturally as Hawaiians but also defining our spiritual potential as children of God. We should be bold, we should be fixed upon moving forward and always stay in tune with the feeling of wonder, hope and awe that this phrase inspires.
To me this is a really appropriate phrase for Iosepa because of the purpose/motivation behind her creation. When we stood on her deck we the crew became an integral part of the wa'a and her mission.

* What do you remember and interpret Elder Ballard's blessing upon Iosepa to mean?

Honestly, I don't remember much about Elder Ballard's blessing. I do remember dancing the hula created by Uncle Cy Bridges for Iosepa. I can remember swaying (not only during the dance) but all throughout the ceremony that day in complete exhaustion. I spent close to a whole day and night making lei haku for myself and about eight of the dancers. (Three of whom I really felt I needed to help because they were not only participants in the Culture night that year but were also part of the first crew for Iosepa - they had next to no time to make their lei). I'm talking head, wrists & ankles, neck and for the kane the full body side swept leis. I remember my back felt broken, my hands and fingers were throbbing and just being physically drained but determined to dance well for the wa'a.

* Do you feel his blessings have been realized?

I think there was some reference to Iosepa reinforcing this connection between our family that have passed beyond the veil, our kupuna, ourselves and the future generations. I also seem to remember something being said about the type of impact this wa'a would have on our community as well as on those from without who would be gathered together to care for the wa'a. That we would all witness the power/mana of this wa'a. Iosepa would be a missionary [tool].
On some levels I feel like Elder Ballard’s blessings have come to pass and on others I think we need a little more time to see the fulfillment of certain blessings.

* What does being pono mean to you?

Well, yes, pono means being righteous. But I think it also refers to everything that existing in this state of righteousness would involve. (Obedience to correct principles, humility in learning, patience in teaching, being ever observant and quick to perform/serve when called upon, taking care of responsibilities, loving each other (charity - not only for family and friends but enemies too), yah, pretty much all that good stuff. Pono means being right with everything and everyone you come across and leaving it all in a good way/ or hopefully even better than it was in it's original state.

* How important is being pono to you?

As a single mother, daughter of God, daughter of good parents, sister, member of the church, friend, and teacher, it's pretty important. I take all of these relationships seriously and do my best not to take them for granted.

* How did the canoe experience challenge you?

Wow! What's the word limit here? Watch out, here I go.

I think the canoe experience was taxing but rewarding on many different levels. I learned to be a better communicator and listener. I learned you need to be watchful and alert at all times. I learned to be sensitive to the experiences my fellow crew members were involved in (whether wa'a related or not) as well as to the promptings of the spirit. I learned that with privilege comes a responsibility. I witnessed the burden and blessings of leaders in their stewardship for the wa'a and her crew. I witnessed the individual sacrifices each member made to be a part of the Iosepa crew and the resulting blessings of their commitment. It was emphasized again and again that we had to be pono physically, spiritually and mentally as members of the crew. I saw people at their strongest most admirable moments and I also saw people stretched beyond limits.
I guess I don't feel adequate about speaking about my personal challenges as a crew member because it would seem ungrateful. When reflecting upon the difficulties I faced the fatigue, lectures, humble living quarters, overcoming physical weakness or inadequacies (i.e. I always struggled on the main, never felt like I was strong enough to really contribute as much as the others were), occasional annoyances with crew, missing my daughter, the challenge to be always observant and attentive, to study and understand the vast amount of knowledge that our leaders and captain tried to pass onto us, even the minor things like awesomely bad sunburn and the brutally hot deck. It was all necessary, in order for the tremendous amount of growth that took place. The challenges were essential, for the growth of this particular group of individuals who came together, extended themselves and learned to care for the wa'a and each other before themselves. For the missionary work which took place and spiritual growth which occurred. It was necessary to go through these challenges in order to see the fruits of our labors.

* What does being a crew member mean to you?

Being a crew member is both a privilege and a responsibility (this is something our leaders reiterated time and again). It is an honor which requires sacrifice and commitment. It is in no ways a simple calling, it's an all encompassing at times overwhelming experience. Very demanding. And yet, despite all of the hardship, in my opinion it was, is, absolutely worth it.

* How has being a crew member affected your life?

I'm stronger for it. My identity as a Hawaiian woman and as a member of this community is stronger. My strength and knowledge as a Hawaiian studies major was increased. My testimony increased exponentially because of faith-building experiences with the canoe. My abilities as a mother were enhanced because of the things I learned about myself as a member of the Iosepa crew.
As a side note, at times it was hard to put other responsibilities behind my devotion to the canoe. It was difficult to work, care for my daughter, go to school and be a crew member at the same time. Being crew, at least in this first crew meant sacrificing a lot of time. It was time I found I couldn't surrender after a while because it was affecting my earning abilities and time in care giving for my daughter. I felt guilty for not being able to keep pace with other crew members (they gave up a lot too) and stopped going to the wa'a. A demanding but truly wonderful experience.

* What were some of the best one-liners or sayings you remember?

'5 dowla', 'Hiki nō', 'On the wa'a think land, on the land think wa'a', 'Good one' (this was said in sarcastic or doubtful tone), 'Be 'i'ike' - Kamoa'e would say this, 'Supa man'- Kanale, 'Pooh-bear' - Feki, Matua/Cap - title of respect and affection for Uncle Clay Bertelman, 'Luda' - boys called Uncle Luther this behind his back, 'Hema! or Akau!' - referring to duty on the hoe, 'One hand for you, one for the canoe' - safety precaution, basically don't slip into the drink. 'Sweet! or Che bro' - picked up after long exposure to our Maori brothers and sis.

* What were some memorable stories you can share with us?

Any conversation I had with Uncle Clay holds good memories. I love the one where during the sea trials we almost grounded Iosepa on the reef between Malaekahana and Goats. If one of our kupuna and fisherman from the area Uncle Reuben Pukahi hadn't been with us, auwe! I hate to think of what might have happened that day! It's a good reminder that our kupuna know way more than we do, they've truly 'been there, done that' but aren't going to brag about it or let on unless conduct proves it's necessary. I think that quiet humility comes from that generation. They're doers not talkers.
Swim tests were my particular favorites, anytime we could get into the water I was loving it. In the water I felt like physical strength didn't matter. I felt like my abilities in the water helped me to watch over my crew. I can remember watching their faces to make sure everyone was doing okay and watching 'below' to make sure nothing bigger than us was in our vicinity at the time! Ha! Like I could have done anything about it if niuhi really did swim by!
I remember seeing koholā (humpbacks), honu and mālolo (flying fish) off the side of the deck of Makali'i.
I remember standing on Iosepa's deck and seeing the islands as our ancestors must have appreciated it on Iosepa's first voyage where we took her to Kawaihae to meet her elder, Makali'i.
I remember the day Uncle Clay didn't let on that we were about to be broadsided by a gust of wind and seeing Uncle Kawika's sandwich fly out of his hand (he pretty much threw it in his surprise) and his hat flying off his head as we all scrambled to secure the main and sails. That image still makes me chuckle when I think about it.
I remember Uncle Clay teaching me to how to throw the tow line a Wahine method since I wasn't making it on my first few attempts. I remember being trusted to bring the main down on my own (usually it's done by close to 10 people) - wow! [I] still can't believe I was given the opportunity to do that!
I can remember cooking fish at the warehouse and serving it to Papa Mau Piailug (Master navigator and father of the restoration of Hawaiian seafaring). I was so nervous! I can remember thinking, as I cooked the fish, I hope it tastes good! - I can count on my hand the number of times I've cooked fish, yah, that was kind of stressful!
My first time at Kealakekua bay. Learning how to drive Alaka'i, seeing the sacred pool and sites there across the bay.
Getting my hand smashed between the two hoes. Auī ! That's something I don't ever plan on repeating.
Plenty memories! Too many to write about!

* What were some inside jokes you remember?

Some of the one liners I wrote earlier. I'd need to sit with the crew again to remember some of the better ones though.

* Do you have particular feelings about Iosepa having a halau at PCC?

I'm so grateful to Uncle Ira Fulton and Uncle Dale for their generosity, vision and love for the Hawaiian studies program. I am relieved that there will be an actual structure for Iosepa to call home. I like that it is close to Laniloa park it's appropriate because it's close to where the wa'a was born.
I am concerned that the wa'a will become more of a museum piece at the PCC. In order to fully appreciate what this wa'a has to offer you need to participate in dry dock and if given the privilege sail her. There is only so much you can learn while she sits there in the halau.
I know there are also concerns that the wa'a will not be as accessible behind the gates of PCC to the community. I hope this will not happen.

No comments: